8.14.2009

New Toilet Reading Required

So, I finished The Best American Essays of 2004 today, and I was sad to see it come to an end. But, because I have enjoyed this collection so much, I've decided that I want to make it a regular purchase each year, so now I just have to catch up a few years to be current. The last essay("An Enlarged Heart") in the collection rocked me rather substantially, not inconsequentially because it is author Cynthia Zarin's recounting of her 3-year-old daughter's battle with Kawasaki disease. I loved her tone, her honesty, her structure to the whole piece. It is good.

Besides the forceful ending with the mouse, my favorite bit is this:

As I listen, I think, This is what growing old is. We think we will learn Sanskrit, learn Greek. Instead, what we learn is more than we ever wanted to know about things we wish we'd never heard of. I think only, You cannot fall apart. (299)

Too, too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment