6.29.2009

DogEared Pages of The Book Thief

This narrative voice is so unique. I love it. Some more examples of genius:

The moon was undone now, free to move and rise and fall and drip on the boy's face, making him nice and murky, like his thoughts. (60)

In translation, two giant words were struggled with, carried on her shoulder, and dropped as a bungling pair at Ilsa Hermann's feet. They fell off sideways as the girl veered with them and could no longer sustain their weight. Together, they sat on the floor, large and loud and clumsy.
***TWO GIANT WORDS*** I'm Sorry. (146)

I love death's statement about young men in war:

I've seen many young men over the years who think they're running at other young men. They are not. They're running at me. (174-175)

I have given you two events in advance, because I don't have much interest in building mystery. Mystery bores me. It chores me. I know what happens and so do you. It's the machinations that wheel us there that aggravate, perplex, interest, and astound me.
There are many things to think of.
There is much story.
(243)

Undeniably, this book is one of the finest pieces of writing I've read since I retackled Song of Solomon this past semester. I am thoroughly engrossed in the "machinations that wheel us there." Thoroughly impressed and moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment