8.11.2008

Reading on Writing and Writing on Reading

In a text I'm reading to prep for class, I find the following thought from poet William Stafford:
"a writer is not so much someone who has something to say as he is someone who has found a process that will bring about new things he would not have thought if he had not started to say them." Although anyone who knows me will assure you that I've always got something to say, I am comforted by the idea that I don't have to be a new and profound voice on the world scene. I can just write, and in the process, I will find the newness in my voice that perhaps only I needed to hear. I hope, too, that this thought will reassure my students. The important thing is to read and write. What you read and write is not so important - especially not at first. How you engage with that reading and writing and become improved by it is the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment