7.31.2014

The New Normal

Welp. It has already happened. I've been at school most of the week getting my classroom ready and continuing the planning process. In-service officially begins next week, and then, we're there.

Back. To. School.

But don't let me fool you. I love starting a new school year. I love the fresh start we receive each fall and the energy I gain from trying new things. I love it all, and I'm really looking forward to my first year as a full-time teacher in a high school. It is sure to be a totally different but shivery-good experience.

One of the things I always do with my students is make their writing authentic and produced for a real audience whenever possible. I also try to write alongside them, showing them the reality of living as a writer. So, you may see a student review on these pages in the coming months, and though I will undoubtedly be busy with school-related stuff, it is my goal to post once a week.

In the meantime, I have read Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys (very good~) and have begun his Neverwhere. I have rejoined Audible and am this close to not renewing my library subscription because - y'all - the books I have bought in the last few weeks. There are so many.

Besides the Gaiman, I am also reading a bunch of stuff for work, making final decisions on what to read with my 10th-graders. The kids and I are working our way through Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett, and we are all loving it. And with each passing day, I get a bit more excited about the Decatur Book Festival, which I'm taking the kids to. So much bookish fun.

So, there it is. Nothing worth much. Just an adjustment to the new normal. I'll probably continue to be mostly absent in the next two weeks, and then I'll get down to it again. Happy end of summer, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment