12.21.2012

Reading Limbo

I'm getting a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas. It's not a surprise. I even sort of ordered it myself. I'm a jerk like that sometimes. I've also requested George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire on the Kindle. I'm fairly convinced Martin and his ilk are why e-readers are awesome. I finished a book a few days ago, and now I'm stuck in reading limbo. I will want to start reading on the new gadget promptly, so I've got this random four days of limbo where nothing - NOTHING - on my TBR seems right. It can't be that long. I don't need it to be super heavy or sad. It needs to be right.

I tried a collection of Andre Dubus novellas We Don't Live Here Anymore, but you guys, the adultery. I'm a grown up, and I know that the real world is made up of a lot of people having sex with their friends' spouses, but I just don't like to read about it. Prude? Maybe.

I pondered re-reading the first Harry Potter, but that felt too unfinished. To start the series knowing I can't finish it didn't work for me. So, last night, I climbed the stairs to my collection of Newbery winners and special edition children's books.  I pulled the boxed set of L'Engle's Time Quintet off the shelf and opened A Wrinkle in Time to the first page.
It was a dark and stormy night.
It was, y'all.  It was.  And even though it is a series I won't finish, it felt just right.  

2 comments:

  1. I love a good short story to fill in the gap between long chunksters. I just finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Stephen King's The Mist in anticipation of books that (hopefully!) will be under the tree for me on Tuesday :) But... I did just pick up Wool by Hugh Howey, though, which is about 1200 pages (or screens) on my iPhone. And it is awesome and I cannot put it down.

    George R. R. Martin books are just incredible. I'm hooked on epic fantasy and sci-fi right now, so everything I want to read is huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to not reply sooner, Natalie. You read on your iPhone? Crazy talk, girl. I hope you found just what you wanted under the tree!

      Delete