9.10.2012

Book Blogger Appreciation Week: Emphasis on the Appreciation


Though I don't always get my act together to participate in Book Blogger Appreciation Week, I had to post in response to today's prompt: Appreciation! There are no awards this year, but it can still be hard to navigate the huge universe of book blogging. Share with your readers some of the blogs you enjoy reading daily and why.


Like most of us, I read a lot of blogs.  There are days when I probably spend as much time catching up on blogs as I do in actually reading whatever book I've got going at the moment.  I have several that I love, others that I'm just getting into, and some that have actually come my way because of recommendations from other bloggers.  In fact, I added at least half a dozen to my reader this morning after all these BBAW posts started rolling in.  To add my voice to the choir, here are some blogs I get a charge out of seeing in my reader (WARNING: they aren't all completely bookish!):


The Rejectionist: With her first book coming out next Spring, Sarah McCarry's blog has taken on a slightly different coloring, including the revelation of her real authorname and everything.  However, she still kicks butt on a regular basis, holds nothing back with her writing, and always, always makes me think.  I even have a quote from one of her posts hanging on my office wall for inspiration.  That's a significant amount of awesome.

Books I Done Read: I know I am not the only fan in this girl's stadium.  Raych has a huge following, so you might already know about her and her hilariousness.  Suffice it to say that I rarely read the same stuff as Raych, and she rarely inspires me to read what she done read.  But, I just told my husband the other night that I think she and Jon Stewart might be the people in this world who make me laugh the most, and that's got to count for something.

Bottom of the Glass: Two friends of mine write this blog, alternating posts every couple of days.  Occasionally, it's about books, but mostly it's about society, music, culture, work, politics, and well, just life. They are always interesting, often funny, and occasionally inspiring.  

Smitten Kitchen: Deb's book comes out next month, and if it is anything - ANYTHING - like her site, it will be full of beautiful food pictures and delicious recipes.  I have never made a recipe of hers that wasn't great.  And her writing is accessible and fun without being too voice-driven.  You know what I mean, right?

Three of Four Good Thoughts: Another old friend of mine entered the blogiverse earlier this year, and it has given me unbelievable joy to hear his thoughts and get his book advice and think/talk with him about books and writing in this forum.  He's good, y'all.  His writing is smart and thoughtful and not pretentious.   And he has really fine taste in books.

Listen, these lists are great because they might bring you joy.  They might encourage you to check out a new blog or try a new recipe or even think in a new direction.  But they always exclude, so if you aren't on this list, but you see me commenting on your site, know that you are appreciated, you are read, and gosh darn it, I like you!

12 comments:

  1. Will definitely have to check out your blogs mentioned here.

    Smitten Kitchen is one of my all-time favorites. I mean, her cookbook? I already have a little empty space in the middle of my cookbook shelf so it can sit right there when it comes out. I'm so excited to have a physical book of all of her great work. And what about her hidden baby photos in every post? So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I don't even buy cookbooks that often and certainly not brand new, but this feels different somehow. Like an old friend has a book coming out, and I'm super excited to have the real thing right in my hands and on my shelves.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree about Raych's blog -- we don't read the same books, but I read every single one of her reviews because they make me laugh so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. The funny. Gets me every time.

      Delete
  3. I have read some of these blogs before, but Smitten Kitchen is new to me...and I think this is one that I should check out. Thanks for the recommendation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check it out! She's fantastic.

      Delete
  4. I'm excited to explore some of these blogs! It's always fun to find some new ones. I love the diversity in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Yours is one I just found through BBAW, and I'm loving it.

      Delete
  5. I would LOVE to just hole up in Deb's kitchen. Or be reincarnated as her kiddo. Love her blog--just love it and am looking forward to her cookbook. Great list Sara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! As small as she says her kitchen is, you might not want to hole up there exactly, but definitely in the vicinity of the food. Yum!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the shout out and very kind words and for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete