4.23.2012

Things, They are A-Happenin'

So, there was the Read-a-Thon.  And now there is not the Read-a-Thon.  It was a fun and productive weekend, and I'm so glad I helped make some progress with the Donor's Choose classroom project I was sponsoring.  If you pledged to make a donation (or even if you didn't!), please go on over here to give some money-love to these kids.  Every little bit will help.

I'm working today on some more packing and organization regarding the upcoming move.  I can't believe it is a little over a month away.  I've still got serious work to do at both houses, so I'm looking forward to turning in grades next week and turning my full attention to this transition.  Speaking of transitions, I have made the decision to shut down my old blog (ghousegas.blogspot.com) and add a regular feature here on projects at my house.  I know this blog is supposed to be devoted to books, but it doesn't always work that way.  Politics, community events, and life stuff find their way in here, and I like it that way.  Please know that I will remain committed to the bookish life, but I want to consolidate all my households, the mental and physical, so a little house stuff, a little Pinterest, a little gardening will leak in every now and then.  The regular feature will kick off through my participation this next month in Trish's (Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity) Pin It and Do It Challenge.


Trish explains her challenge here, and I think her idea is spot on.  Too often, Pinterest becomes a dumping ground for ideas that we never actually use.  So far, I've used a few of my Pinterest pinned ideas (some more successful than others), and this challenge looks like a good way to do more.  In fact, this very night, I'm making a Crockpot pork tenderloin recipe that I repinned from Trish herself.

Finally, there's the WMaIDWtPATB Challenge.  I have updated the page by marking out some of the books I know I will not read in the next month.  Of course, I logically know there are many more I won't read in the next month, but the Dickens, the Joyce, and the Diamond had to go ahead and get packed up as did War and Peace.  I also pulled a few that I have definite plans for after the move (Paris in July and a few other things).  There has been progress.  The problem is I checked out all these wonderful books from the library for the Read-a-Thon, and I now I want to read them instead of the TBRs.  Oh well.  I only had most of them for a week anyway, so I'll just return them and request again after the move.

8 comments:

  1. Honestly the blogs that I enjoy the most are the ones that are a combination of all things life. And even the ones that remain bookish, I still love when someone lets a bit of themselves spill through. I'll look forward to the new additions! And good luck with the moving. Sounds like some busy times ahead for you.

    and thank you so much for joining the challenge. I hope you like the pork tenderloin recipe as well--it was recommended to me from a few bloggers and I really liked it the first time but I actually cooked it last night as well and it was a bit dry. maybe I didn't let it stew long enough? Anyway...hopefully yours was tasty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pork Tenderloin was really good, Trish! I wonder if your second attempt that was dry was the result of what I almost did - cook on high for 4 hours instead of on low as the recipe says. My crockpot has automatic settings at 4 and 6 hours on high and 8 and 10 hours on low. I almost just clicked it to the 4 hour setting and walked away, but I'm sure the higher heat would have meant a dryer result. Thankfully, I caught it and enjoyed tender, juicy tenderloin. Just a thought!

      Delete
    2. I don't want to admit this to my husband so I'll just confide to you--I didn't follow the recipe. :-/ To be fair the first time I made it I didn't follow the recipe either as I didn't have any dry onion soup mix. So I looked up a recipe and created my own. But the bouillon was SO salty that this time instead of adding bouillon cubes I added homemade chicken stock (unsalted). Ha! Think it made a big difference.

      Also, I did catch myself turning it to high and changed it to low BUT I don't think I let it stew long enough--the leftovers reheated in the oven last night were much more tender.

      Glad you enjoyed it, though! :)

      Delete
  2. This is great! You know I do a combination on my blog, so I heartily approve of this move. I would totally join Trish's challenge except I am the most horrible about following challenges of any kind. But I make stuff from Pinterest all the time! Such a great tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just repinned your amazing bookmarks from the World Book Night. You are so handy! I have used some of my Pinterest items, but not nearly enough yet, so the challenge will help me look there more often. And thanks for the encouragement on the blogcontent shift. I just need to get something posted now!

      Delete
  3. I'm so bad at pinning stuff for later... never... Sometimes I even find that I've pinned the same thing again! I admire your resolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet pinned the same thing twice, but there is definitely more stuff there than I'm ever likely to use. Here's hoping I see some success! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete