4.30.2012

Photography


Do you remember the feeling of the last day of school?  Of course, you do.  The urgent beat of the pending summer married with the laze of unparalleled freedom?  The feeling that you had all the time in the world to do whatever you wanted?  Yeah.  I've got that today.  I turned in my last grades this morning and have spent the rest of the day daydreaming about all things far from work-related, such as the house renovation, photography, and baking.

Currently, I'm downloading a free trial of Lightroom by Adobe.  I've been frustrated with my photo-editing options but didn't feel ready for Photoshop.  Lightroom sounds perfect for my needs, so I'm going to give it a shot.  Anyone use it and have any advice?  I've been watching introductory videos and realizing there is so much more that I could be doing with my images.  I'm not sure I'll always take the time to use all those features, but the differences can be amazing.  I've often felt conflicted about digital image alteration.  It is an art form, but it somehow feels distinct from the art of capturing a great shot - without any manipulation.  I have friends who shoot 100 pictures to my 10 because I'm always trying to catch just the right shot.  They may end up with something "better," but isn't that just luck?  Isn't it more skillful to see it and catch it without shooting blindly?  I'm not sure.

One of my summer goals will be to get better at using the more advanced features of my camera.  The Photo a Day project should help.  You've probably seen these around.  Here's the list for May, which just happens to be my birthday month:


Since I pulled this list from Pinterest, it will also be a good step in my Pin It and Do It Challenge participation.  I won't post every day, but perhaps on Saturdays, I'll post my week in images.  Now, excuse me, because with only three and a half months of summer available, I need to go get reading.




6 comments:

  1. Did you take this picture? If so, it's fantastic! (well, either way it's fantastic). I actually just pinned this so that I could count it for the challenge (thanks to some other bloggers who have been doing this each month). I'm really looking forward to the prompts.

    Let us know how Lightroom goes for you. I try really hard to take all of my pictures on Manual (actually AV) but for every good shot I have about 20 bad ones. But I AM trying to get the perfect shot and don't trust my luck. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did take it. That's my girl a few years ago. Thanks for the kind words.

      I'm looking forward to the prompts, too. There's just so many ways to interpret them. It should be a fun creative exercise. The complexity of the Manual settings is exactly what I need to learn more about, and maybe I'll tackle a few new settings as part of the photo a day project. Summer Vacation is the BEST!

      Delete
    2. I really love this photo...Photography is so nuanced...you're going to love the Adobe program...I've heard great things about it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much, Serena. I'm still a little frustrated by the software, but it has great promise. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. I downloaded Light Room recently too. Photoshop is too much. You could study it every day and still not know everything. I took a photography course many moons ago and absolutely loved it, but I must say, I didn't retain much, particularly as with digital cameras, there is so much you can change and adjust.

    It just seems simpler with a light meter and film, though of course, I know that's not the way of the world. For Christmas, I got a Fuji Instax, which is like a Polaroid, and I've had a lot of fun using it. I actually need to get more film. It's like Instagram except real. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the reasons I occasionally wish I didn't teach. There is just so much to know and so much I don't yet know. I haven't done anything with instagram at all. It's the Walmart - if every one is doing it it's got to be wrong - mentality that i've got, i guess.

      Delete

I love a good conversation, even (or especially) one that gets heated, so fire away! I try to respond to all in a timely manner.