4.17.2012

Just What Does Sleep Deprivation Feel Like?

Bloggers.  Readers.  Cheerleaders.  These are the participants in Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon, an event I've always admired . . . from afar.  I love following along with the hourly updates, watching the books (and the snacks!) fall, all while going on about my business.  I've never been able to reconcile the idea of disregarding all other life forms for 24 hours while I read.  Granted, I have a highly supportive husband, kids who also love books, and family nearby, so I could totally make this happen if I worked at it.  But I never have.

Until now.

I have signed up despite the late notice (I haven't told the highly supportive husband yet).  The Read-a-Thon is this Saturday, April 21st, and if you want to sign up, go here.  The rest of the site explains all the details (there are few out of date bits), especially the part that says you are NOT required to read for the entire 24 hours.  This point is crucial for me because I already have a few commitments that day.  For starters, I'll be running a 5K at 8:30 am, but it shouldn't take too long, and I might just get an audiobook started at 8 as I warm up.  That could work!  I also have the WMaIDWtPATB Challenge that needs a serious jumpstart.  I've been bogged down in Michael Pollan's Second Nature for weeks now, it seems.  I might also get a few from the library.  In fact, I just requested a copy of Salvage the Bones, which has been knocking on my door since Ann Pancake insisted it was the best book of her year.

Now, I just need to make a stack.  The Read-a-Thon types recommend shorter, faster, lighter reads to keep me motivated.  Apparently, snacks are key.  What say you, veterans thonners?  Any tips?  Also, if you are participating this year, leave me a comment below, so I can know who else is in the trenches with me.

8 comments:

  1. Uh, wow, good luck with that -- and with the 5k! Love to read, but can't say I'd be into this. I'll be interested to see how it goes. Have fun running and reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The run is possibly going to be more treacherous because it is forecast to rain; however, I probably don't yet know the limits of how difficult this reading thing might be. Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  2. I've participated several times and plan to this Saturday, although I've never read the whole 24 hours and don't intend to try. If I'm tired and it stops being fun I stop reading.

    I know a lot of people like to read several short things, and I've done that, but I've also had a great time when I've chosen one thick, absorbing book to spend the whole day on. One time, it was Wilkie Collins's Armadale, which was great. This time, I'm going to try to finish 11/22/63 by Stephen King.

    I also like reading for a charity, to give the day a purpose. I usually donate 10 cents a page to some literacy-related cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I like the idea of a fundraiser. I'ma gonna think on that. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Yay for joining! I've participated in every read-a-thon so far except for one. I don't know if I'm going to participate just yet. (I'm in a "meh" sort of mood.) My tips: have plenty of snacks, naps are a good thing, start with short books, make sure the fam has something to do, and have fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naps.....I am certain there will be several in my readathon experience. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really getting excited!

      Delete
  4. Hi from another readathon reader. :)

    Previous experience has led me to the conclusion that I prefer a mix of essays, fiction and non-fiction so that I can switch moods with the books. I keep saying I will spend all day reading War & Peace or the Count of Monte Cristo but honestly, I'm not sure that would work for me if it felt like a set task!

    Look forward to seeing what you pick...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in, Alex! I'm excited about the readathon and have started gathering my pile. I'll get a post up this evening. I definitely have that same idea regarding the mix, but I did consider doing a chunkier book. Maybe another time!

      Delete