9.15.2011

Caution: Blogging Can Be Habit-Forming

The BBAW question/topic for the day asks us how blogging has changed our reading habits or book-buying habits, and those things haven't changed much for me.  I still read mostly literary fiction (classic and contemporary), I still adore excellent books for little people (children's and YA), and I still (STILL) am trying to stop buying so many books every time I go into a used book store.  The shelves, they are a burstin'! 

But one thing has changed because of my blog: my approach to writers.  Previously, I would have considered all published writers infallible, unapproachable gods.  And while I still utterly admire the Published Ones, I am much more bold in approaching them.  This boldness began with my whimsical email to Amazing Author Jess Walter.  The response was more than I could have imagined.  As a result of that super-cool development, I realized that authors (at least some of them) are real, fleshy, human-types.  And they don't look down their nose at all non-Published Ones.  Again, some.  There are some fairly famous examples to the contrary. 

After the Jess Walter affair, I felt a little more confident.  After reading Ann Pancake's awe-inspiring Strange as This Weather Has Been, I wrote her to thank her for what she'd done with this book.  (It is so worthy.  Do, please, read it).  And hey, why not, I asked for an interview.  What do you know, she wrote back!  The text of her response is below.
Dear Sara, 
 
I am honored and awed by the passionate, incisive, and beautifully written blog post you've offered my novel.  Thank you so very much.  Your words and your appreciation mean an awful lot to me.   

Forgive me, but I'm not really up for interviews right now because I'm entangled in a number of pressing things, including a major computer crash and some health issues (nothing to worry about, just tiring).  If you want, once I get my computer up and running, I can send you copies of interviews I've done with other people that offer insight on my ties to Appalachia and on my work.  

For now, know how grateful I am to you for your wide-openness to my book and for your sharing it with others.  Thank you, too, for fighting mountaintop removal.  

All best wishes, 
Ann
Forgive me if this reads like self-aggrandizement.  I don't intend it to be.  Instead, I'm just taking this moment to appreciate what this blog has brought into my life and to anticipate the next cool thing around the corner.   In a few weeks, I get the chance to meet Barbara Kingsolver (in person.  real life.  like her face and everything.), and I'm curious where this newfound boldness will take me.  Thanks, blog.  You da best.

1 comment:

  1. That's wonderful. What a great compliment to you and your blog. Those are excellent perks of having a blog.

    ReplyDelete