7.01.2011

Paris in July

Bonjour, Juillet!  I know I'm not the only one who is surprised to find July making what I would consider an early appearance.  Seriously.  How is it already July?  Despite my incredulity, it is indeed the first day of July, and that means Paris!  Thanks once again to Karen at BookBath and Tamara at ThymeforTea for hosting this summer's Paris in July event.  I am looking forward to a month full of exciting French delicacies. 

Here is my stack:

The top four are my TPR interviews and represent my intention to return to my TPR Challenge this month.  One definite choice is Orhan Pamuk's Snow.  It is this month's pick for The Wolves reading group, so I'll be killing several birds with one stone with this selection.  Are there others on the TPR list you would suggest for their particular Parisian connections?  I considered rereading Hemingway's A Moveable Feast, but the Challenge is supposed to be about reading new material from these authors, so I've had to reconsider.

Below those are Belloc's Paris, Camus' L'Etranger (my French reading selection for the year), and The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Selznick.  I need an English-language novel in there somewhere....

I'll also be finishing up Kathi Appelt's The Underneath, which has no connections to Paris but just happens to have crossed the line into this month.  Perhaps most importantly, I'm hoping Paris in July means I can stop being haunted by Montana.  In the last two weeks, I have been reading The Trumpet of the Swan with the kids (set in Montana), have completed A River Runs Through It (a book that has been recommended to me repeatedly over the last 15 or so years and rightly so - it was gorgeous!), and have read 2 magazine articles on the state.  I'm sure Montana's beautiful, but let's go to France instead, shall we?

3 comments:

  1. OOH! I just looked at my TPR list again and noticed Simenon. I could read a Maigret or even watch a film perhaps! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your reading, it looks a lot more serious than my line-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sara, thanks for finding my blog, I've just enjoyed a bit of a trip around yours. In a lovely coincidence the last book I completed was Hugo Cabret! I'm loving the Paris in July experience so far too.

    ReplyDelete