7.07.2010

Book Blogger Appreciation Week

I was supposed to be posting today about my Parisian reading progress (see more below), but I've been hijacked by the reminder to register for the Book Blogger Appreciation Week . . . thing.  Since I am so new to this book blogging community, I thought this event might be a nice chance to see and be seen - so to speak.  So, I stand before you in utter vulnerability.  Be kind, please.

The posts I am submitting are:
More on the Moor
Reading While Moving or Why I Hate Endnotes
How to Read a Book
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark

Now, about the Paris in July reading:  I have chosen to read (not sure if you can call what I'm doing reading, but we'll go with that for now) Chateaubriand's short story "Les Aventures du Dernier Abencerage."  What's most interesting to me is that I understand a lot when I just read a sentence or a section and let it make sense on its own rather than translating every word.  However, I'm still looking up quite a bit - mostly as an attempt to improve my vocabulary as I go.  I want to do more than just get the gist. 

The funniest thing about my aventure en francais is that it took me to the end of the first paragraph when I read "Pluere maintenant comme une femme un royaume que tu n'as pas su defendre comme un homme" (5) before the bells started going off in my head.  Only then did I recognize this story as the same events used by Rushdie for the underpinning to his fantastic The Moor's Last Sigh, which I so recently gushed over.  How could I be so obtuse?  Despite my struggles, I am loving the challenge this reading has posed as well as the accidental overlap here, and I will forgive myself if you will.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, cool synchronicity in your reading choices!

    It's tough striking a balance, when reading in French, between looking up enough words to improve one's vocab & get the most out of the piece, and looking up so many that it ruins the rhythm. At least, so I find. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily: I'm definitely finding that as I continue in the reading, I am looking up less, and the flow is much more . . . fluid. There was a dramatic improvement yesterday (in terms of speed) compared to the day before, but I still have so much to go. At least it's a short story rather than a novel!

    ReplyDelete