11.25.2009

Black Mountain Breakdown

Lee Smith has long been a favorite (even if her The Last Girls was a serious disappointment). I finished today her 1980 Black Mountain Breakdown, and it was quite good. Granted, it did not change my perspective on life or move me to some deeper understanding of humanity, but it was well-drawn, and though sad, it was a compelling read. There was some little lack of cohesion, but for the most part, it rang true. I couldn't help but feel like there was an awful lot of Lee Smith herself in Crystal Spangler, which causes me to wonder how closely she identifies with Crystal. Overall, a good addition to the list of havereads for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love a good conversation, even (or especially) one that gets heated, so fire away! I try to respond to all in a timely manner.