7.02.2009

French Lessons by Alice Kaplan

I started this one last night after a long moment in front of the to-be-read shelf. I wanted to find just the right thing to follow The Book Thief.

I actually bought French Lessons at an estate sale, plucked it from the stack that probably included Reader's Digest collections and a biography of George Bush. Why was it there? I was surprised when I read more about this memoir during my decision-making last night. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, but there was more political/intellectual meat here than I had anticipated.

So far, I am really enjoying the way this book is floating me through it. I'm glad I'm reading so much of it alone, though, because the french makes me want to read it out loud, so I do.

Here's something I particularly liked:

She entered the poem she was teaching. She showed us around. She was baffled by literature, amused by it, suspicious of it. Literature is essential to survival and impossible to understand. Literature lies and tells the truth about lying. (75)

No comments:

Post a Comment